- Grapefruit is in season November to June.
Health Benefits of Grapefruit:
- Grapefruit is an excellent source of Vitamins A and C.
- The combination of fiber, potassium, lycopene, Vitamin C and Choline in grapefruit help maintain a healthy heart.
- Grapefruit is made of 91% water, help to keep you hydrated.
- Learn how to help fight the flu with grapefruit with these tips!
How to Pick Grapefruit:
- A ripe grapefruit will be slightly red in color. The deeper the color, the more intense the flavor.
- Look for grapefruits that feel plump with fairly smooth and thin skin. it should also feel heavy for its size.
- Give the grapefruit a gently squeeze. It should give slightly, then bounce back after you release pressure.
How to Store Grapefruit:
- Store grapefruits at room temperature for up to 10 days, or store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
How to Prepare Grapefruit:
- Wash before eating.
- Cut horizontally and scoop out segments with spoon.
Fun Facts About Grapefruit:
- Grapefruit got its name because it grows in clusters like grapes.
- And it belongs to the berry family, like bananas, pineapple and tomatoes.
Get additional resources in our Nutrition Education Center