Macaroni and cheese is a family favorite no matter where you go. We love adding broccoli and cauliflower to this version to add some nutrition and veggies to everyone’s plate. This recipe can easily be made the night before and heated up for a quick yet hearty dinner.
- 1 (13.25 oz.) box whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1 (12 oz.) package Eat Smart® broccoli and cauliflower florets,
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 9 ounces shredded lowfat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli and cauliflower last 2 minutes. Drain and reserve ½ cup water.
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and whisk in milk. Continue whisking until sauce boils and thickens slightly. Add cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat. Stir in pasta and vegetables. If mixture is too thick, add reserved cooking water a little at a time until constancy is to your liking.
- Transfer to 11x8-inch baking dish coasted with cooking spray and top with breadcrumbs.
- Place under the broiler 2 – 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 19gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g