Switch up pasta night with this easy Baked Spaghetti Squash Topped With Beef recipe. Prepped in 10 minutes and ready in under an hour, this is a protein and veggie filled dinner idea.
One of my favorite things about spaghetti squash is how incredibly easy it is to make. And it’s pretty fun to eat! What isn’t there to love about baking a veggie and then being able to shred it into spaghetti?! Fall brings an abundance of squash that’s in season – from butternut to spaghetti – and all have a unique and delicious flavor. And since winter squash have a long shelf-life, stock-up! For this simple dinner idea, I baked the spaghetti squash and topped with with ground beef and some veggies. It’s kind of like a spaghetti squash boat! Making it a fun and healthy spin on pasta night.
How do you bake spaghetti squash?
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds.
- Place the 2 halves on a baking sheet.
- Lightly drizzle each half with olive oil and sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
- Flip the halves over, so that the cut side is down.
- Using a fork poke some holes in the bottom of the squash.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
See, it’s pretty easy! I would say that the hardest part is cutting the squash in half, it’s hard and it’s round, so you need a good knife 🙂
Key Ingredients For Baked Spaghetti Squash Topped With Beef
- Spaghetti Squash
I told you that it was a simple dinner idea! Filling and nutritious too.
Simple Beef-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 2 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 28 oz no-salt-added diced tomatoes 1 large can
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out and discard seeds.
- Drizzle with olive oil or brush with olive oil and sprinkle on a dash of salt and pepper.
- Place flesh-side-down in large baking dish.
- Using a fork, poke several holes into the squash.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until softened.
- Meanwhile, heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add pepper, onion and garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until veggies are slighty soft.
- Add the beef and cook for 5-7 minutes or until is cooked through. Drain and add tomatoes, salt and Italian seasoning. Let simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and shred with fork. Add beef mixture to the top of the squash, top with cheese and bake 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.