A healthy take on the classic Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole. This dish is a perfect cozy and filling dinner your family will love.
Made-Over Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup matchstick carrots chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock divided
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 2 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 2 cups cooked long-grain and wild rice
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat; add onion, celery, mushrooms and carrots and cook 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Sprinkle with flour, stir and cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in stock. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Return to heat and bring to a simmer.
- Mix veggies, chicken, rice, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper in large mixing bowl.
- Transfer mixture to 8×8-inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through.