Veggies are the star of this hearty vegetarian pasta.
Hearty and Healthy – Garden Vegetable Pasta
I know how challenging it can be to whip up a delicious, nutritious meal for the family while juggling a million other things. That’s why today, I’m thrilled to share a recipe that will make your taste buds dance with joy and keep your family asking for seconds. Introducing my Garden Vegetable Pasta – a hearty vegetarian delight that puts veggies in the spotlight!
This recipe is all about embracing the vibrant flavors and wholesome goodness of garden-fresh vegetables. We’ll be combining the earthy sweetness of a chopped sweet onion, the meaty texture of sliced mushrooms, and the leafy green goodness of baby spinach. These veggies come together with whole wheat rotini pasta to create a satisfying and nourishing meal that will leave you feeling energized.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for a moment. Alongside the veggies, you’ll need some pantry staples like olive oil and unsalted butter, which add richness and depth to the dish. To give it a delightful tang, we’ll be including sliced Kalamata olives, which provide a briny and flavorful twist.
Whether you’re a vegetarian or simply looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into your weekly menu, this Garden Vegetable Pasta has got you covered. It’s a versatile recipe that can be enjoyed as a main course or served as a side dish alongside grilled protein. Plus, it’s a great way to get those picky eaters in your family excited about vegetables!
So, let’s roll up our sleeves, gather our ingredients, and dive into the world of garden-fresh flavors with this wholesome and satisfying Garden Vegetable Pasta. Get ready to transform ordinary veggies into an extraordinary feast that your family will love. Let’s get cooking!
Related: Love pasta? You’ll love this Lemon Dill Salmon Pasta with Asparagus!
What makes it healthy?
What makes this Garden Vegetable Pasta a healthy choice is the combination of nutritious ingredients and cooking methods that prioritize wholesome goodness. Here are some aspects that contribute to its healthiness:
1. Abundance of Vegetables: This recipe is loaded with a variety of vegetables like sweet onion, mushrooms, baby spinach, and Kalamata olives. Vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants, which are essential for maintaining good health and supporting a strong immune system.
2. Whole Wheat Rotini Pasta: By using whole wheat rotini pasta instead of regular refined pasta, you’re opting for a higher fiber and nutrient content. Whole wheat pasta is less processed and retains more of the natural goodness found in the wheat kernel, including B vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber that aids digestion and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
3. Balanced Cooking Techniques: The recipe calls for sautéing the vegetables with a small amount of olive oil and butter. These cooking methods help retain the nutrients and flavors of the vegetables while adding a touch of healthy fats. Additionally, sautéing helps avoid excessive oil or butter usage compared to deep-frying or heavy cream-based sauces.
4. Minimal Added Salt: The recipe doesn’t rely heavily on added salt for flavor, allowing you to control your sodium intake. This is beneficial for individuals who need to watch their sodium levels due to health concerns like high blood pressure.
5. Flexibility for Customization: This recipe is highly customizable, allowing you to adjust the ingredients according to personal dietary preferences and needs. You can easily incorporate more vegetables, reduce or omit the butter for a lighter option, or add protein sources like grilled chicken or tofu for a well-rounded meal.
By choosing this Garden Vegetable Pasta, you’re making a healthy choice by incorporating nutrient-dense vegetables, whole grains, and balanced cooking techniques into your family’s diet. It’s a delicious way to ensure your loved ones are getting a dose of essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber while enjoying a satisfying and flavorful meal.
Related: Also try our Rainbow Italian Pasta Salad!
Meal prep ideas for this Garden Vegetable Pasta recipe
Meal prep is a fantastic way to save time and ensure you have delicious and nutritious meals ready throughout the week. Here are some meal prep ideas for the Garden Vegetable Pasta recipe:
- Chop the sweet onion and slice the mushrooms ahead of time. Store them in separate airtight containers or resealable bags in the refrigerator. This will save you time during the busy weekdays when you’re ready to cook.
- Prepare the whole wheat rotini pasta according to the package instructions, cooking it until al dente. Drain the pasta and toss it with a little olive oil to prevent sticking. Allow it to cool, then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This way, you’ll have cooked pasta ready to go when it’s time to assemble the dish.
- Sauté the chopped onions and sliced mushrooms in a skillet with olive oil and butter. Allow the mixture to cool, then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to enjoy the Garden Vegetable Pasta, simply reheat the vegetable mixture in a skillet before adding the other ingredients.
- Divide the baby spinach and sliced Kalamata olives into individual portion-sized containers or resealable bags. This makes it easy to grab the required amount of each ingredient when assembling the pasta.
- If you prefer to have the entire dish prepped and ready to go, you can assemble the Garden Vegetable Pasta in individual meal prep containers. Layer the cooked pasta, sautéed vegetable mixture, baby spinach, and sliced Kalamata olives in each container. Seal the containers and refrigerate them. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply reheat in the microwave or transfer to an oven-safe dish and bake until heated through.
Remember to follow safe food handling practices and ensure proper storage to maintain freshness and avoid spoilage. With these meal prep ideas, you can save time during the week and have a delicious Garden Vegetable Pasta ready to enjoy whenever you need a quick and nutritious meal.
Let’s make this dish!
Garden Vegetable Pasta
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 pint sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups baby spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lay onion and mushrooms single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven, set aside to cool.
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss with oil; set aside.
- Heat butter in large skillet on medium-high heat; add onions and mushrooms, and cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium; add spinach and olives, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in pasta.