This simple, no-fuss dessert is sweet and refreshing.
Have you got a sweet tooth that needs satisfying? I can relate! The trouble is, I don’t always want to spend a bunch of time making things from scratch. That’s why I love relying on pre-made ingredients like store bought angel food cake to whip up a quick and satisfying dessert. With just a handful of ingredients, you can create a treat that will surely impress your taste buds.
This Fruit & Cream Delights recipe features a medley of delicious fruits, including peaches, nectarines, plums, and cherries, all chopped and combined with a touch of honey for natural sweetness. This flavorful fruit mixture is then layered on top of slices of premade angel food cake, adding a light and airy texture to the dessert. To finish it off, a dollop of whipped cream is added for a creamy and indulgent touch.
Not only is this dessert a feast for the taste buds, but it’s also a breeze to prepare. With a total prep time of just 10 minutes (maybe less!), you can have this delightful treat ready in no time.
Whether you’re serving it for a special occasion or simply craving a quick and satisfying dessert, the Fruit & Cream Delights recipe is sure to become a favorite in your repertoire.
Fruit & Cream Delights Made Easy with Premade Ingredients
Using premade ingredients to create semi-homemade desserts is a convenient and time-saving approach that allows you to whip up delicious treats with ease. By incorporating pre-made elements like store-bought cakes, cookies, or pies, you can significantly cut down on the preparation time while still achieving mouthwatering results.
These ready-made components provide a solid foundation for your desserts, giving you the freedom to focus on adding your own personal touches, such as creative toppings, fillings, or decorations. Whether you’re a beginner in the kitchen or simply looking for a quick and hassle-free dessert solution, the semi-homemade approach opens up a world of possibilities, allowing you to indulge in homemade goodness without sacrificing convenience.
Preparing Your Own Angel Food Cake Ahead of Time
Of course, if you have extra time in the kitchen, you could make your own angel food cake ahead of time too. Keep some in the freezer to pull out whenever you need it. Yep! You read that right – you can freeze angel food cake. Here’s how to do it:
- Allow the cake to cool completely: Before freezing, make sure the angel food cake has cooled down completely. This helps retain its texture and prevents moisture buildup during freezing.
- Wrap the cake: Wrap the angel food cake tightly with plastic wrap. Ensure that the entire cake is covered to prevent freezer burn and maintain its freshness.
- Place in an airtight container: After wrapping the cake in plastic wrap, place it in an airtight container or a resealable freezer bag. This provides an additional layer of protection against freezer odors and helps maintain the cake’s flavor.
- Label and date: To keep track of the storage time, label the container or bag with the date of freezing.
- Freeze: Place the wrapped and container-sealed angel food cake in the freezer. Make sure it is placed on a flat surface to prevent any damage to the cake.
Angel food cake can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy the cake, simply remove it from the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature. Once thawed, you can serve the cake as it is or add your desired toppings, fruits, or whipped cream.
It’s important to note that frozen angel food cake may lose a bit of its initial lightness and texture due to the freezing process. However, it should still be delicious and enjoyable.
Add Different Fruits for a Variety of Fruit & Cream Delights
Adding different fruits to premade angel food cake is a fantastic way to enhance its flavor, add a burst of freshness, and create a visually appealing dessert. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Berry Bliss: Top your angel food cake with a combination of fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Drizzle some raspberry or strawberry sauce on top for an extra touch of sweetness.
- Tropical Paradise: Create a tropical twist by layering your angel food cake with slices of fresh pineapple, kiwi, and mango. You can also sprinkle some shredded coconut on top for added texture.
- Citrus Delight: Give your cake a zesty kick by incorporating citrus fruits. Add segments of oranges, grapefruits, or mandarins, and garnish with a sprinkle of lime or lemon zest for a refreshing citrus burst.
- Stone Fruit Extravaganza: Combine the flavors of juicy peaches, plums, apricots, and nectarines. Slice them and arrange them on top of the cake, and for an extra touch, you can lightly grill the fruit slices for added caramelization.
- Melon Medley: Experiment with different melons like watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew. Cut them into bite-sized pieces and place them on the cake. This combination offers a cool and refreshing treat, perfect for hot summer days.
- Mixed Berry Coulis: Puree a variety of berries like strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries to create a flavorful coulis. Drizzle the coulis over the angel food cake and top it off with a few whole berries for an elegant and tangy twist.
Remember, when adding fruits to premade angel food cake, you can get creative with the presentation. Consider arranging the fruits in a decorative pattern or adding a dusting of powdered sugar for an extra touch of elegance. The possibilities are endless, so have fun experimenting with different fruit combinations to create your own delicious masterpiece.
Let’s make these Fruit & Cream Delights!
Fruit & Cream Delights
- 1 peach pitted, chopped
- 1 nectarine pitted, chopped
- 1 plum pitted, chopped
- 1 cup cherries pitted, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 slices premade angel food cake
- 4 teaspoons whipped cream
- Combine peach, nectarine, plum, cherries and honey in medium bowl. Set aside 5 minutes.
- Top cake with fruit and whipped cream.