In this episode of Healthy Family Project, we talk to Emily Burson, a registered dietitian and founder & CEO of School Nutrition Plus, all about how parents can help their children make healthier choices in the lunchroom.
Emily shares tips on how parents can encourage kids to make healthy choices in lunch line and educate them about the importance of nutrition and overall health as well as how parents can advocate for healthy choices in the lunchroom.
School Nutrition Plus is a full-service caterer that specializes in the unique needs of charter schools. Their chefs prepare nutritious and appetizing meals, all from scratch, that get kids to not only eat their veggies but love them.
Emily oversees the overall direction of SNP, utilizing her broad knowledge of nutrition and experience in the food service industry. Before founding the company, she served as a food service consultant for Consulting Nutritional Services, taught Nutrition and Foodservice at Pepperdine University and managed charter school accounts in Southern California for Sodexo School Services.
Emily is also the author of the A Chef Walks Into a Cafeteria cookbook, which honors the flavor values of scratch cooking and will inspire families to cook together, with recipes actually served in the school cafeteria!
Thank you so much for supporting the Healthy Family Project Podcast! We’d love it if you could take 5 minutes to let us know how we can bring you the best possible content for future episodes. Take the survey here.
Healthy Recipes & Tips in Your Inbox
Sign up for the Healthy Family Project e-newsletter to receive healthy recipe inspiration, our latest blog posts and more directly to your inbox each week.
Healthy Family Project Facebook Group
Join our Healthy Family Project Facebook group! This group will serve as a safe space for parents and caregivers to talk all about raising a healthy family – from dealing with a picky eater and tips to get more fruits and veggies onto plates to exercising as a family and mental health. We welcome all of you to join in!
Want to skip straight to a hot topic? See time stamps below. But of course, we recommend listening all the way through!
- 2:40 School Nutrition Plus intro
- 6:55 How can parents encourage kids to make healthy lunch choices
- 9:40 Ways parents can advocate for lunchroom changes in schools
- 12:48 How to sway kids to make better choices without shaming them
- 16:10 Recipe inspiration for the foods Emily makes in schools
- 19:25 A Chef Walks into a Cafeteria – scratch cook recipes
- 25:10 What does a healthy family mean to you?
- How to Make Healthy Choices in the Lunch Line
- 10 Back to School Meal Planning Tips
- Back to School Recipes & Tips
- Connect with Emily on Facebook and Instagram
- School Nutrition Plus
- A Chef Walks into a Cafeteria cookbook
- Catch up on Food Rx!
Other Podcast Episodes to Check Out:
- Episode 35: Helping Kids Make Good Choices
- Episode 34: Lunchbox Packing Mistakes to Avoid
- Episode 33: Thinking Outside the Lunchbox Rut
- Episode 7: Lunchbox Meal Prep
Healthy Family Project Podcast
Conversations covering hot topics in the world of health, food and family with a dose of fun. Helping families ease their way into a new fresh and healthy world.
Be on the lookout for new bi-weekly episodes and don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or your favorite podcasting site. If you like an episode, make sure to leave a rating and comment.
If you are interested in being a guest on the Healthy Family Project podcast, contact email@example.com with your topic idea for consideration.