Seasonality of Kiwano Melons:
- Kiwano melons are available year-round.
Health Benefits of Kiwano Melons:
- Kiwano melons are a good source of Vitamin C, iron and potassium.
- It also contains smaller amounts of phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, calcium and copper.
How to Select Kiwano Melons:
- Choose kiwano melons that are bright orange in color and free from bruising or soft spots.
How to Store Kiwano Melons:
- Store kiwano melons at room temperature. Don’t refrigerate!
- Once ripe, kiwano melons are best consumed within a few days.
How to Prepare Kiwano Melons:
- Trim off kiwano melon spikes with a veggie peeler, then slice into rounds or wedges.
- The peel, pulp and seeds are all edible. Try sprinkling with salt or lemon juice for a yummy snack. Or, use a spoon to scoop out the pulp and add to smoothies or salad dressings.
Fun Facts About Kiwano Melons:
- Kiwano melons are also known as a horned melon or horned cucumber.
- The pulp is lime green and similar to jelly, and filled with tender, white, edible seeds. It tastes similar to a cucumber, melon or lime.
- Did you know Kiwano melons made an appearance in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”? A bowl of horned melons were spotted in the movie when Rey sat down to eat at Maz Kanata’s castle.