Tomato soup and grilled cheese is a classic, kid-friendly comfort food. Skip the sodium-packed canned soup and make this easy, homemade recipe that’s packed with veggies! For a creamier texture, stir in 1 Tbsp. plain yogurt to each bowl.
- 1 medium sweet onion, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 Beefsteak tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 slices low-fat Cheddar cheese
- Combine onion, celery, tomatoes and tomato paste in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Add vegetable mixture, broth, salt and pepper to large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Top each bowl with a sprinkle of basil.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place two slices, butter-side-down, on parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with cheese and other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Bake 5-10 minutes, or until browned and cheese is melted.