This soup is a take on the classic comfort food Spaghetti & Meatballs. These turkey meatballs are delish and filled with veggies, and the orzo is a great bite-sized pasta that’s perfect for soups.
Today’s guest blog post comes from Ashleigh of Dash of Evans. Visit dashofevans.com for family, food and fun…on a budget!
Nutrition Tip: Green kale contains a nutrient called lutein, known not only for giving kale its color but for protecting vision and eye health.
Leftovers of this soup are a great warm-me-up lunch and it’s quite healthy, too. Make a double or triple the batch of the meatballs to freeze for other meals.
In our house, making meatballs is a family event. Yes, it’s messy and it takes a bit longer, but it’s something fun we can do on a weekend afternoon. On the speaker, we put some Motown music on and have a blast!
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup diced sweet onion, divided
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon (plus 2 tsp.) Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small zucchini, cut into half-moons
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz.) can white beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 cups baby kale
- Add garlic, 1 carrot, ½ cup onion and pepper to food processor. Pulse to finely chop.
- Mix Italian seasoning and 1 Tbsp. oil in small bowl.
- Combine turkey, egg, breadcrumbs and cheese in large bowl. Add chopped veggies and Italian seasoning mixture, and mix well.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Using a teaspoon, make tiny meatballs rolling in hand before placing in skillet. Brown meatballs on both sides and remove from skillet. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add zucchini, ½ cup onion and 1 carrot, and cook, stirring frequently, 5-7 minutes, or until onion becomes translucent. Add tomato paste and Italian seasoning, and stir. Add white beans and stir. Add stock, orzo and meatballs. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10-12 minutes. Add kale and simmer 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, top with extra parmesan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 12gSodium: 787mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 29g