These lunchbox-friendly empanadas are packed with lean ground beef, veggies and cheese for a meal kids won’t be able to resist! Get the kids in the kitchen and make a batch on Sunday for easy lunchboxes all week!
Nutrition Tip: Lean ground beef provides 10 essential nutrients, including protein, zinc, iron, and B vitamins.
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox for a chance to win weekly prizes.
Looking for more lunchbox ideas? We’ve got you covered with 70+ ideas including make-ahead ideas, non-sandwich lunches, ideas for repurposing leftovers, and vegetarian, nut-free and gluten-free recipes.
Or check out all of our back-to-school content on our blog. A few of our most popular posts include:
- The Ultimate Guide to Packing Healthy Lunchboxes
- After-School Snacks that Won’t Ruin Dinner
- The Best Lunchboxes for Kids
- 20 Lunchbox-Packing Tips & Hacks from Parents
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 mini sweet peppers, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat pizza dough
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables, cooked
- 1 clementine
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef, carrots, onion, peppers, cumin, salt and pepper, and cook 7-10 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- Dust counter lightly with flour and roll out dough to ¼-inch thick. Using a small to mid-size bowl (5-inches in diameter) to cut out circles of dough. Repeat process until all dough has been used.
- Fill dough with ¼ cup beef and sprinkle with cheese. Fold dough over filling to create a pocket, pressing down on sides to seal.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Serve with salsa for dipping, veggies and Crispy Green.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 12.5gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 612mgCarbohydrates: 36.5gProtein: 18.5g