Pasta soups are a classic dish and a tradition at the Mexican family table. My mom used to make this Mexican-style pasta soup with vegetables for us, and would normally use pasta shapes like stars and letters. Inspired by those childhood favorites from my mother’s table, I decided to prepare this Mexican-style pasta soup for kids but that will also be enjoyed by those that are kids at heart.
While looking for my ingredients I found a very cute pasta shape celebrating farmers and animals. I thought this would be a great pasta to use for this recipe because it’s fun and allows us to converse with our children about farming, the animals that are raised and the produce that is grown.
This Mexican-style pasta soup’s main ingredients are chicken broth, tomato puree, sofrito and a mix of frozen peas and carrots picked at the peak of the season. Using frozen veggies is a smart option because they’re simple to use, convenient and easy on the budget.
In my Mexican-style of cooking, when we prepare pasta soup we like to fry slightly the dried pasta to get a golden brown color. This may be a bit uncommon but it does give a toasted flavor to the soup, making it a delightful dish to start any meal.
The Mexican sofrito is different from the Caribbean variety. We use fresh cilantro, garlic and tomato puree combined with chicken or vegetable bouillon. This is used to cook the soup and create more flavor. A Mexican-style pasta soup is not a bland dish at all! In fact, when serving the soup, it is accustomed to garnish with avocado, fresh cilantro and serrano peppers.
Our children are introduced to peppers very early in life so, since childhood, we enjoy spicy foods. Soups are a common fair during lent season too. This soup is ready in just few minutes and requires only a few ingredients.
Mexican-Style Pasta Soup for Kids
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 box small pasta (fun shapes or alphabet pasta works great!)
- 1 can (16 oz.) tomato puree
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. chicken bouillon
- 1 bag (15 oz.) frozen peas and carrots
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add pasta and lightly “fry” until golden brown.
2. Blend tomato puree, cilantro and garlic in blender to make sofrito.
3. Add sofrito to pasta and stir to combine. Add broth, water, bouillon and peas/carrots and stir. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook 7-9 minutes, or until pasta is cooked through.
- Serve the soup topped with avocado, fresh cilantro and chopped peppers, if desired.
- You can use any kind of vegetable in this recipe, such as spinach, zucchini, green beans or corn.