Mornings are a busy time for parents. It can be difficult to make a protein-packed breakfast and get out the door. These breakfast burritos can be made ahead of time and frozen for easy reheating and eating.
Nutrition Tip: Research shows that eating breakfast has a positive effect on kids’ behavior and academic performance. Make-ahead meals they can grab mean even early-morning breakfasts are a lot more likely to happen!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 16 ounces lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small RealSweet® sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato on the vine, finely chopped
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup lowfat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 14 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in nonstick skillet over medium meat. Add sausage and cook 5-8 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 tsp. oil, peppers and onions, and cook 3-5 minutes, or until softened. Add tomatoes and cook 2 minutes.
- Scramble eggs and pepper in large bowl. Add to pan and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring, or until eggs are set.
- Remove from heat and mix in sausage and cheese. Let cool.
- Fill tortillas with ½ cup egg mixture, roll into burrito and lay seam-side-down on a parchment-line baking sheet. Freeze 1 hour, transfer to freezer-safe zip top bag and return to freezer.
- To reheat burritos, remove from freezer, wrap in paper towel and microwave on HIGH 1-2 minutes.