Today, we welcome guest blogger, Jodie Fitz. She is the creator and personality of the Price Chopper Kids Cooking Club and author of ‘Real Food Fast” and the ‘Better Bites’ program. When she is not on the road or in the kitchen, she’s wife & mother of three.
Every once in a while, you just have to play with your food! Here’s a great way to take salad to a whole new, memorable level while packing in a bunch of veggie fun.
Simply pull out a mini chopper and layout a salad buffet that includes everyone’s favorites. Let each person chop & build their way to a little dinner yum by following the directions below.
Salad Stuffed Racecars
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 2 small peppers*
- 1 Tbsp. light cream cheese
- 4 cucumber slices
- 1 cup Fresh Express® salad mix
- 1 cup Eat Smart® vegetable medley with broccoli, cauliflower & carrots
- 1/8 cup Setton Farms® pistachios
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of Marie’s® yogurt ranch dressing
- 2 sliced olives
1. Create the Car Base: using a sharp knife, cut an oval in top of the pepper. Clean out the center & rinse. You may need to shave a slight edge with a sharp knife on the bottom of the pepper so that it has a flat edge to rest on.
2. Add the Wheels: Spread cream cheese on one side of each cucumber slice & attach them to sides of pepper.
3. Fill the Race Cars: In a mini chopper or food processor, chop salad, vegetable medley & pistachios. Stir in dressing. Fill the car base & add an olive slice for a steering wheel.
*NOTE: Use a small pepper. Waxed Hungarian, Italian peppers or the baby bells work best.
Check out Jodie’s other salad creations and try making a Salad Stuffed Cyclops or Salad Sailboat. You may also want to try some other recipes that include some of the Produce for Kids sponsors: Blueberry Avocado Smoothie & Zucchini Chips with Homemade Salsa that are both easy and delicious.